Ulcerative Colitis Specialists in Bangalore
Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in which the digestive tract suffers inflammation & ulcers (sores).
Ulcerative Colitis can sometimes lead to life-threatening situation. Contact our specialists to understand how to get relief from Ulcerative Colitis & IBD.
What is Ulcerative Colitis ?
Rectal Prolapse is a non-emergency yet socially awkward rectal condition in which the rectum (last few inches of the large intestine) passes down into the anal canal & sometimes outside the anus. This requires the patient to sometimes manually push the prolapsed tissue inside causing ruptures or cuts in unhygienic environment.
At Chirag Global Hospitals, we educate our patients to get the right assessment & treatment for Prolapsed rectum as many patients & sometimes, even doctors, confuse rectal prolapse for Piles/Hemorrhoids. Get the right treatment by getting the right diagnosis. DO NOT SHY AWAY FROM TAKING A SECOND OPINION FROM the Best Colo-Rectal Surgeons of Bangalore, India.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
- Abdominal Pain & Cramps
- Pain in the rectum
- Diarrhea with blood or pus in the stool
- Constant feeling to defecate
- Weight loss
- Constant Tiredness
- In children, zero growth of body parts
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis
- Genetic Transmission
- Immune Malfunction
- Parasitic Organisms, Virus, Bacteria or Fungus can also be possible causes
Ulcerative Colitis can worsen due to an improper diet, stress, smoking, sleep loss, lack of vitamin D etc.
Risk Factors of Ulcerative Colitis
If Rectal Prolapse is left untreated, it can lead to multiple colorectal issues.
- Colon Cancer: The longer Ulcerative Colitis is left untreated, the higher the risk of development of colon cancer. A colonoscopy will be performed by expert doctors usually during an ulcerative colitis checkup to rule out the development of colon cancer.
- Thickening of the intestinal wall
- Intestinal bleeding
- Blood infection also known as sepsis
- Chronic Dehydration
- Hyper swelling colon also known as Toxic Megacolon
- Rupture in the colon
- Skin, Joints or Eyes inflammation
- Kidney Stones
- Liver Disease
Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative Colitis is usually a chronic condition which is treated by conservative treatments under the supervision of expert doctors to reduce the inflammation. Treatments are usually aimed at reducing the flare-ups & swelling.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication
- Special Diet Advise
- Immune System Suppressors
- Surgery: Surgery is recommended when there is significant bloodloss, abnormal swelling/growths, precancerous lesions that can lead to colon cancer etc. Proctocolectomy & J-pouch surgery (ileoanal pouch) is the most common procedures for treating ulcerative colitis surgically. Usually more than one surgery are required as the digestive tract is very sensitive.
Prevention of Ulcerative Colitis
- Proper Diet which is low on spices & inflammatory foods incl. fatty foods/oils
- Proper usage of antibiotics
- Reduced or No consumption of carbonated drinks & alcohol
- Stress Management with healthy work life balance
- Yoga & Kegel exercises